Sunday, January 15, 2006

Bosnian crochet fun

I have no clue who the heck named this Bosnian crochet, or if it even has anything to do with Bosnia at all, but whatever. This is a trivet/potholder that I've been working on for my mom for too freaking long a few months. It's made out of cream colored worsted weight cotton, which is awesomely offered by the ounce here. I used a size F hook, in case anyone cares. It's worked so that it will be like a square pocket, and when I've finished, I'll turn it inside out & stitch the opening closed, which will make the pretty stripey pattern be on the outside, and also make it a double thickness of cotton so Ma doesn't burn up her countertops with hot cast iron pots. This is a picture of the outside (well, it's the outside right now...it'll be the inside when I get it finished.

Here's a pic of what is now the inside, and will someday be the outside...

Note the pretty stripey/slanty pattern. It really will be neat when it's finished, it's just a pain in the butt to get there. It's UFO #364, I think.


Oh, and for the record, I don't really have fat hands. It's just a crappy angle from the camera. Really.


4 comments:

esme said...

Wow -- that's going to be cool when it's done! I can't wait to see it finished!

-Molly (from Crochetville)

Katherine said...

Wow, you're like a third of an inch farther along than you were in November! Go You!

Heehee!

Anonymous said...

I've trying to learn this stitch forever with no guidance other than slip stitch either in the back loop or the front one, and my stitches look like yours do on the backsideof your work, but they look exactly the same on the front as they do in the back. How are you getting the more vertical stitches on the front? HELP!
Allison

David Benjamin Burchall said...

Hi,

Nice work. I'm doing a series on drapey crochet. One of the elements of drapable crochet I'll introduce my adaptation of Bosnian crochet.

I've adapted it to be done with large hooks. And I came up with a way of working this technique flat rather than only in the round. It produces a fabric that is as thin and drapey as knit fabric.

My blog is at www.AYarnifiedLife.blogspot.com

I'd love to see other pieces you've made in Bosian crochet.

David Benjamin